Monday, August 4, 2014

Northern Michigan Relief Sale & Quilt Auction

This past weekend my family and I attended the annual Northern Michigan Relief Sale in Fairview, MI.  All proceeds from the quilt auction and sales of various crafts and food items go to Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). MCC provides disaster relief throughout the world.  They are often one of the first responders after a natural disaster.  MCC also has various ongoing projects to help people in rural third world countries.  They teach them farming and other skills so that they can work to support their families and villages. 
Crowd gathered to watch the quilt auction

The highlight of the sale is definitely the quilts. Comforters and quilts will sell anywhere from $50 for baby quilts to $2,000 for large exquisitely appliqued and hand-quilted quilts.   Here is a link to see more of the quilts sold on this year's auction. 

The Mariner's Compass quilt was my favorite and sold for $1,800.




Wise Old Owl - Color Challenge 2014




 Each year there is a color challenge.  I always enjoy laying out the five fabrics and deciding on my pattern.  This year's challenge fabrics screamed baby girl.  Since owls are so popular right now, I figured I'd jump on the band wagon. On Friday the public votes for "People's Choice".  Even though I didn't win this year, I was excited when my baby quilt sold for $80!

One thing I noticed while sitting in the audience, was the fact that I should have made my owl larger.  A good reminder to stand back and look at the layout of a quilt before sewing it together!




No comments:

Post a Comment