Monday, September 1, 2014

In the Pines




 In July the annual Lumberjack and Jill World Competition took place in Hayward, WI.  My husband and I have always watched it on TV and every year we would say, "We should go there sometime."  This year the hay was finished and wheat wasn't quite ready to harvest, and so we packed up the kids and went for a quick trip.

As always, my brain thinks in quilting.  Even as I was watching the competition, amazed by their speed and skill, I was constructing this small wallhanging in my mind.  As soon as I got home, unpacked, and threw in the first load of laundry, I pulled fabric from my stash and got to work (or should I say play?)  I decided to use this quilt as my first attempt at making a tutorial.  So here goes!

fabrics used in the wall quilt
You will need a fat quarter or less of each fabric

Cut your fabrics as follows:
Background fabric:  24 - 3" squares; 8 - 2 1/2 x 3" rectangles
Tree fabric (flying geese): 12 - 3 x 5 1/2" rectangles
Tree trunk fabrick:  4 - 2 x 3" rectangles
Focus fabric (center of the quilt):  5 1/2" square




Fig 1
Begin by placing one 3" background fabric square on your tree fabric rectangle (Fig 1).  Sew from corner to corner.  A trick I've learned to keep my stitching straight without marking, is to take a piece of painters tape and place it on my machine.  I use a clear ruler to make sure my tape is straight and inline with my needle.  After sewing, you will need to cut off the extra fabric.  Using your ruler, place the stitched line on a quarter inch and then cut off the excess. (Fig 2)   You now have one side of your goose finished!  Once you have finger pressed or ironed the triangle open, add your second square and again sew
from corner to corner. (Fig 3) Cut off the excess leaving a quarter inch, and iron your little goose flat.

Fig 2
Fig 3
Fig 4


Next sew the background fabric rectangles to the tree trunk rectangle.  After you have sewed all the geese and tree trunk segments, it's time to assemble.  Sew three geese and one trunk to make a pine tree. (Fig 4)




Fig 5
  Lay out the blocks as pictured (Fig 5).  This wall hanging does      include one modified "Y" seam.  But don't be afraid, it isn't as hard  as people make them out to be!

Fig 6
 Start by placing your first tree even  with one edge of the center square.  The most important thing to  remember is to stop 1/4" away  from the end of the center square.  I usually place a pin at the 1/4"  mark.  (Fig 6)


Next you will continue around the center square, adding trees as you go.  (Fig 7 and 8)


Fig 7
Fig 8











Now for the finish.  Place the final tree at the edge of you wallhanging.  You will need to fold down the extra part of your first tree block to keep if out of the way.  This is why it was important to stop 1/4" away from the end of your center block.  This allows you to sew the last block in place.  Once you've sewn this block on, fold the block so that you can finish sewing the first tree block to the last. (Fig 10)

Fig 10

Fig 9


Sandwich your wallhanging and quilt as desired.  I chose to quilt circles, to represent the rings of a tree trunk.

quilt sandwich
quilting details







No comments:

Post a Comment