Saturday, January 24, 2015

Axis of Hope

Axis of Hope
Challenge 2 for  Project QUILTING this week, was "Sunrise/Sunset".  It took me two days to come up with my idea. The obvious ideas popped up immediately, a landscape quilt.  However, I wanted this to be a pieced table topper for our dining room table.  After pondering this challenge, I began thinking about the sun and earth.  No matter where a person is on the earth, they see the same sun rising and setting.  So birthed my idea.

The center of my table topper represents the earth.  The blue/green batiks reminded me of the colors you see in pictures taken from outer space.  The quilting in the background around the center represent the latitude and longitude lines on a globe.



Using the colors of a sunrise and sunset, the flying geese represent the continual rising and setting of the sun.


Now for a name.  My daughter and I were pondering this while looking at my completed top.  Brittney came up with the name we both loved. She said that every morning when the sun rises on a new day, we have hope for something new.  A new day to begin again, if needed.  What a wise daughter I have!




3 comments:

  1. absolutely wonderful!!!! I love what you did and I absolutely love hearing with how this beautiful quilt came to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is striking from afar and then when I saw the quilting it just got better. Love to hear your design process too. www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

      Delete