Saturday, January 17, 2015

Disappearing Hour Glass

Love the swirls in this batik fabric
 "The sands of time are sinking, the dawn of heaven breaks.  The summer morn I've sighed for, the fair sweet morn awakes."  This little known hymn by Anne R Cousin has been running through my mind as I sew up these beautiful Disappearing Hourglass blocks.  I know spring and summer warmth will arrive eventually.  But I am determined to enjoy these long winter evenings, and not to wish them by in a hurry.  I am thankful my husband keeps us toasty warm by adding pellets to our pellet stove several times a day.
Hour Glass block


The above block made it's start as a layer cake, turned into an hour glass block, which was sliced and diced and stitched back together again.  I have been pleased with how easy it is to make a block which looks so complicated.

If you want to try this easy block, click here to see a well done video by Jenny Doan, Missouri Star Quilt Company.


When I finish this quilt top, I will also have quite a few 16 patch blocks.  Instead of using a scrap of fabric as my leader and ender, I have a pile of 2" squares next to my machine.  When I come to the end of a seam, instead of cutting the thread, I grab any 2 squares and sew them together.  I've found I finish one 16 patch block for each hourglass block I complete.  Not sure what I'll do with them, but it make me happy to look at the jumble of color.  I also have the satisfaction of knowing I am using up scrap fabric, instead of just storing them in boxes.

I am hoping to finish up the hourglass block quilt this week, and will post a picture of my finished top when I've done so.

No comments:

Post a Comment