Saturday, February 7, 2015

Quilt Shop Gal February Free-Motion Quilting Challenge

This month Darlene at Quilt Shop Gal hosted Leah Day as this month's expert. There were three choices for February's pillow.  Since I have been looking for more background fillers, I chose Option 1.  Leah has a great video showing how to free-motion quilt her design, "Railroad Tracks".  I found this background rather relaxing to quilt.

I love the orphan block I choose to use.  Being in the midst of winter, this block gives me a taste of spring.

I used the railroad tracks in the background, but due to the print, the quilting blends in.  This picture shows the quilting from the back side.  I chose not to put another fabric on the back of this square, since I was making it into a pillow.



I auditioned different thread, but any color other than white would have distorted the dragonfly print.

I am especially pleased with the flowers.  It is fun to add shape and depth with free motion quilting.


9 comments:

  1. Wow very beautiful Sandra.
    Exellent job for this month challenge!
    Bente

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The railroad tracks look great in the background. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out really pretty and springy too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillow makes me long for spring. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a lovely job quilting this beautiful pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful pillow and very inspired quilting!

    ReplyDelete