Friday, February 20, 2015

"The People of the Cross" Project Quilting Challenge 4

Ever since I saw the first news clip about the 21 Egyptian Christian men who were beheaded by members of ISIS, to send a message to "The People of the Cross", I have not been able to get it out of my mind.  Those men were someone's brother, husband, father, fiance, son, grandson.  They were executed for their beliefs. Beliefs like mine.   Rather than become morose, I decided I needed to create something to remember. Something to remind me, especially during this season of Lent, to pray for other Christians who do not have the freedoms we do here in America.  To pray for those who choose to follow Jesus despite the persecution or even death that may come because of their belief.  And so this wall-hanging, "The People of the Cross" was created.

I have always wanted to try matchstick quilting and decided that this was the project to try it on.  It lent itself to making a "quilt as you go" project.  I marked my white fabric every 1 inch to keep things fairly straight.  I also drew an outline of a heart with the cross in the middle, to serve as a guideline for adding fabric strips.

I used my walking foot for this entire project, and learned a great deal about how that fabulous foot works.  At first I found it difficult to keep my little fabric string from getting caught in the walking foot when I would start sewing on the strip.  I found that slowly taking one stitch at a time, while using a straight pin to hold the fabric in place (a stiletto is too big to get in the opening of the walking foot next to the needle) worked.



Originally I was going to stitch the word "love" in white and let it be a surprise when you really looked at the quilt.

I changed my mind when I realized that love is the most important key to life.  Why shouldn't it also take a prominent place in this wall hanging which was meant to remind me of something so important. I am pleased with the simplicity of this wall hanging. To see details for this particular challenge head over to Persimon Dreams  and consider joining in the fun!

"The People of the Cross"  21"x 23"
The last part of this blog post is going to be a more in depth journaling of my thoughts.  I understand if your beliefs are different, and you choose to stop reading at this point.

I commented to my son the other night, that I sometimes worry about what my children and grandchildren will have to face to continue to be Jesus followers.  His response was, "I'm sure every parent before you has thought the same thing."  He is not worried.  He is only 17.   Never had to stand up for his faith, never had it questioned.  In reality, neither have I.  I have just had 22 more years to become aware of what could be.  Here in America we are blessed with one or more churches in every town.  We don't have to worry about people storming through our doors to harass us.  If that happened, could I stand?  Or would I denounce the very thing I claim to believe?  I pray that should a time like this ever come in America, I would be able to back up what I say I believe.  That I would not turn tail and run, just to save this earthly hide of mine.  I am placing this wall-hanging in my kitchen doorway as a constant reminder to never forget those who have died for their faith and the ones who are left behind to mourn.  As a constant reminder to never forget how blessed I am to be able to worship any way I want here in America.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work and strong story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspirational. It would go well with 1 Corinthians 13.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A simple statement with huge meaning. This piece has moved me. Beautiful and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate what you have written. I worry about the same with my 6th grade Sunday School students. We prayed about the beheaded men today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. This is a beautiful and creative tribute.
    ~Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful quilt! I love how you put 'Love' in it like that and the way the cross is in the heart. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete