Saturday, March 19, 2016

Borders and Bindings

Borders and Bindings and Bears, o my!  Borders and Bindings and Bears!  Today was filled with adding borders and bindings to several quilts.  The above quilt will be donated to the Northern Michigan Relief Sale for their quilt auction in August.  I love the blue and brown Majestic Mountain block border. My mother-in-law did the hand quilting.






Since we have about a month until any field work can be done, she will also hand quilt this wall hanging for the Relief Sale.  I enjoy the piecing and she enjoys having something to do during the long winter evenings.







I also got my Guild's raffle quilt back from the long-armer this week.  I am pleased with the way this quilt has turned out.  We had divided the jobs out in blocks, flying geese, assembling the center blocks, and borders.  I am in charge of adding the binding.  Our next guild meeting is this coming Wednesday, and so the plan is to show it off during Show and Tell.  We will begin selling raffle tickets next month.



Whenever I have a queen or king size quilt, the living room floor is the only place I have to spread the quilt out for squaring it up.  My knees get quite the work out as I crawl around the edges of the quilt.  Following is a short tutorial on my favorite way to finish the binding on my quilts.



I always leave about a 6 inch tail when I begin sewing the binding to the quilt.  I then stop sewing when I am within about 18" of the starting point.



 Next, lay that section of the quilt as smoothly as possible on your work table.  Cut binding ends so that they overlap the width of your binding.  (I cut my binding at 2" so I cut my ends to overlap by 2").


Lay one binding strip face up and lay the other end face down, see positioning above.  Pinning helps hold the pieces in place.  Draw a line from corner to corner, and then sew directly on the line.


 Trim the corner to 1/4" seam allowance and finger press the seam open.  You can then continue sewing the binding onto your quilt.

Well, I am off to milk the cows.  After supper I am looking forward to watching a movie while hand stitching the binding down on the back of the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment