Sunday, March 6, 2016

The life-changing magic of tidying up

I have a life-long love with organization when it comes to my home.  Even though some may walk into my house and think things are uncluttered, I feel like so much time is taken up with stuff.  I began googling "minimalism" and the KonMari Method began showing up everywhere.  Curious about this method, I picked up Marie Kondo's book, "the life-changing magic of tidying up".

The first thing you should be aware of, is that Marie Kondo is a practicing Buddist and brings Buddist values and core beliefs into her method of decluttering, organizing, and tidying.  Although I disagree with her religion (I am a born again Christian) I was able to see the value of her method above and beyond her religious views.  For example, she talks about telling the items you are discarding, "thank you for your service in my life" and to "greet your home when you enter".  I feel uncomfortable talking to things as though they are alive, but do see the value in being thankful for what I have been blessed with.

I have always found sentimental items the hardest to deal with.  It annoys me that they take up so much space, and yet I feel bad discarding them.  Marie says, "No matter how wonderful things used to be, we cannot live in the past.  The joy and excitement we feel here and now are more important." I want to be present in life, looking forward to the future, not stuck in the past.  Marie's habit of asking "does this bring me joy" will become a normal question to ask myself when I am working on decluttering and organizing.

I would recommend this book, as long as you are able to separate the religion with the method.  I would hate for anyone to change their faith due to my recommendation of reading this book.  It is a well written, easy to read book on the subject of decluttering.

No comments:

Post a Comment