Thursday, April 7, 2016

Creativity Slumps

One thing I have come to realize....creativity can be squelched if we don't cultivate it.  Our minds become dull, beige, and sluggish.  Every so often that happens to me, and I wonder why life just seems so beige.  At those times, when I stop to think about it, I realize that I have been so busy with life and haven't taken any time to create anything new or even sew a short seam.

What's a girl to do?  Several years ago I ran across Flylady and faithfully followed her blog to get my house and daily routine into tiptop shape.  I don't necessarily follow her routines any longer, but one thing I have taken away from that time is, "You can do anything for 15 minutes".

Often I find that I haven't been creative because I am  busy and, let's be real, creativity takes effort to get started.  Sometimes after a long day in the office, I don't want to make any more effort!  It's easier to sit in a chair with a cup of hot tea and Pinterest all evening long.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love me some Pinterest!  But I've also recognized the danger of Pinterest.  It makes me feel like I'm being creative, but in reality I've wasted precious minutes in which I could have actually stirred my creative juices by playing with fabric or other crafty items around my house.

What I find when I tell myself that I WILL sew or create something for 15 minutes, by the end of those 15 minutes my creative juices are flowing and if I don't have any other pressing needs, I end up sewing for an hour or more.  Try it sometime.  Getting started is often the hardest part.  It's amazing what excuses we humans can come up with to procrastinate doing something even if it is worthwhile!

Last night was one of those nights.  For the past two nights, actually, I sat in my lazy boy.  Last night I kicked myself into gear and said, "15 minutes.  You really want to finish the Smith Mountain Morning quilt and not let it become a UFO, right?"  So, I sat down for 15 minutes and guess what?!?  1 1/2 hours later I had the last 5 star blocks sewn together and the hour glass centers for the log cabinish quilt blocks finished!  Whoot Whoot!  I went to bed excited about the quilt and feeling like I had accomplished something rather than sit and veg all night.

Try it....just 15 minutes, or 10, or 5....whatever time works for you....I bet you won't be able to stop either!
The last start block needed!

Ironing my hour glass centers

No comments:

Post a Comment