Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Christmas in July and a book review of No Way Up

July is the one month out of the year that I do not work in the office at school.  For one whole month I get to be home all I want, sew, garden, play in my flower beds, and be a full time dairy farmer's wife.

For the past 6 days I have been enjoying the 12 Days of Christmas Blog Hop hosted by Sarah at Confessions of A Fabric Addict.  I have enjoyed reading new to me blogs and being inspired with a lot of ideas for Christmas gifts.  I am also loving the Quilt Along Sara is running simultaneously.  For 1 hour or less a day, we will have a completed Christmas quilt top in just 12 days.  Sara has done a phenomenal job with her easy to follow tutorial.  It's not to late for you to jump in and join the fun.  I couldn't resist laying a block out with the segments we have finished.  It makes me anxious to see the finished result!
Last night I finished quilting a lap quilt for my daughter.  It is a belated house warming gift.  She and her husband moved into their newly remodeled house in February.  This morning I sewed the binding onto the quilt, and all that is left is hand stitching the binding down.  I will most likely do that while watching America's Got Talent tonight.

One other thing I love to do during my month off, is take time to lay on a quilt out in my yard, and read.  It is a guilty pleasure that brings back memories of doing the same thing during the summer months when I was a child.

No Way Up, by Mary Connealy is my latest read.  It is a good, lay in the sun and let your imagination take you west, sort of book.  For those of you who have read the Kincaid Brides trilogy, this book continues the story of the youngest Kincaid brother, Heath.  This book does stand on it's own and you do not need to read the others for the storyline to make sense.  However, I'm guessing you'll want to find the other three and read them after reading No Way Up.  Heath Kincaid is working as a hand on the Cimarron Ranch when disaster strikes in the form of an avalanche.   The ranch patriarch is caught and gravely injured in the slide.  Heath discovers that the avalanche may have been intentionally set and works with the Boden siblings to find out who is working against them and why.   As always, Mary Connealy has done a fine job of bringing the characters to life.  This book was given to me by the publisher for an honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment